Re: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:13:17 -0800
  • Cc: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  Agreed.  However as we have repeatedly seen and/or witnessed,
ICANN Bod and staff members are enamored in engaging in
social engineering, determining business models, and political
intrigue.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > What should, in your opinion, IANA do in case ISO decides to reallocate
> > SU, or any one of the codes that have been discontinued and moved to 3166-3?
>
> ICANN should strive to insulate itself from the political aspect of recognizing
> what is and what is not chunk of national sovereignty.
>
> For ICANN do to other than to follow, exactly, what is in the appropriate ISO
> list (3166-1?) would be for ICANN to usurp the authority of the ISO, causing
> ICANN to become embroiled in the political questions of recognition or
> non-recognition.
>
> Else ICANN ought to be very frank and say that it uses the ISO lists merely as
> suggestions.
>
> So if a name, even a big one, falls out of the ISO list, it should vanish from
> the root zone file.
>
> Countries and country codes don't vanish instantly or without notice.  And as
> long as people who build their names in ccTLDs are potentially impermanent,
> they can adjust their actions and expectations accordingly.
>
> Similarly, ICANN should not try to engage in life support for any TLD of any
> kind - otherwise ICANN would find itself even more deeply sunk into the
> dangerous swamp of economic and social engineering than it is already.
>
> The only caveat to this is that there are a large number of people, myself
> included, who live in the legacy world of the days before ICANN, even before
> Versign, and even before Network Solutions, in which we had but one choice,
> .com, and have never had the opportunity to make a choice among a variety of
> domain name products with diverse characteristics.
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827