Re: [ga] Is ICANN turning down Jon Postel's Internet key ISO reference and stability? (was: Whois more in detail)

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Is ICANN turning down Jon Postel's Internet key ISO reference and stability? (was: Whois more in detail)
  • From: Kim Davies <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:20:41 +0000
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quoting JFC Morfin on Wednesday January 24, 2007:

| there is a full week now that I sent you this mail, repeating the
| question I already sent to you. There is a significative number of
| people who wait for your response.

As I mentioned before, I have no desire to unduly burden the list with
matters that you have dragged here from another mailing list, but it
appears you will not let the matter rest. As you incorrectly quoted me
here, and I chanced upon it, I merely sought to correct the record.

| From your rude response we learned that it is "crazy" to think that
| ICANN is only in touch with the NTIA once every other day.

No, we didn't learn that at all, and I believe my response was measured.
I said that ICANN is in touch with the NTIA on a regular basis. In
fact, what I said in the discussion on another list about this "sunset"
project, is:

1. NTIA is fully informed about ICANN's work on the sunset project.
2. IANA staff (read ICANN) are in contact with NTIA every other day or so.

You misappropriated the first point into meaning that NTIA "knows
perfectly what ICANN does" in an unrelated discussion about privacy
laws, to which I clarified that I never said that, and that the comment
was only about the sunset project.

By correcting your misinterpretation of point 1, you now impute that it
was point 2 I was correcting, and that I am claiming to believe point 2
is correct is "crazy".

To reiterate, I said, on the specific matter of sunsetting domains names:

    We're generally in touch with NTIA every other day or so. They are fully
    informed of our work in this area [this area being sunsetting domains].
    They, like everyone else, are interested in IANA policies and procedures
    being clear, well documented, and transparent. One of the reasons we're
    undertaking this consultation is to help us clarify and document our
    policies and procedures.

And you said here:

    Kim Davis [sic] acknowledged that NTIA knows perfectly what ICANN
    does

I never acknowledged or said any such thing. I stand by what I actually
said.

I trust this clarifies.

kim