Re: [ga] New gTLDs consensus process at ICANNwiki

Ted Ernst wrote:
I'm not suggesting that anyone ignores the politics, but instead am
suggesting that if we come together not to simply produce a good
recommendation document, but to form a broad-based consensus (the 3rd
stage as we've laid it out requires 160 people participating across
multiple consituencies and regions and 90% of them to say YES to the
final document - this is a high bar) that will be VERY hard to ignore.

Perhaps a better question is why even one person can say "no" to another person's attempt to risk his/her own money to try out his or her "good" idea.

As long as that idea does not violate the *technical* standards of the net then there is no reason why ICANN, NTIA, or anyone or anything else should have the power to say "no".

That's why ICANN is a combination in restraint of trade.

The only question is whether it is an illegal combination; and that question needs to be separately asked and answered in each country.

		--karl--