Re: [ga] GoDaddy gets patent on proxy Whois service

In the mid-90's we registered some domain names for clients using their real name as the 'registrant' after which all the other info such as address and phone were 'c/o' ours. In the case that someone legitimately needed to contact the registrant, we relayed the information to them.

There has lately been some 'buzz' on the net discouraging registrants from types of proxy registrations where the registrar actually has 'become' the registrant. I might wonder whether there would be potential legal issues for a registrar who essentially becomes the registrant of a domain then allows a client to 'use' it. At best, even if disallowed by a user agreement, cases of alleged trademark infringement or other abuse of a domain name would seem to me to have the potential for many headaches and expense to the registrar as 'registrant'.

Perhaps this patent is part of an overall attempt to separate (and document) the responsibility of the registrar from that of the end user?

Dena A. Whitebirch
@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc.
http://quasar.net