Re: [ga] A Fool's Paradise

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Fool's Paradise
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:39:23 -0800
  • Cc: GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ALAC <committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  Well said except one very small but important point.  Those whom
are working in the ALAC are indeed misguided and I would add
very much misinformed.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Bret Fausett wrote:
>
> > But I would ask everyone not to discredit the people who came to ICANN
> > later, who know little about this history, and now are working to build
> > these RALOs and ICANN At Large Structures. This is valuable work, even if it
> > falls far short of our longer term goals.
>
> I hate to disagree with Bret, and I admire his ability to hope that
> lemons can be turned into lemonade .. or straw into gold.
>
> But the ALAC falls so short of what has been promised that it isn't even
> comparable.
>
> The ALAC system is a sop, not a solution.
>
> Indeed some, such as myself, consider the ALAC, particularly as it
> replaces actual elections, to be the internet-governance version of
> serfdom, a purpose that I believe was completely intended by its
> designers.  And they designed well.
>
> As compared to red carpet treatment that ICANN gives to trademark and
> other privileged industrial segments, the ALAC is an inexcusable and
> unacceptable system of exclusion and repression of the people who make
> up the community of internet users.
>
> The ALAC is a product of a septic conception and even if it were to
> reach its potential, it would still be inadequate and it would not
> redress the fact that it leaves the community of internet users as
> observers rather than participants, much less than the dominant
> participants that was part of ICANN birth promise.
>
>  From my point of view the best, and only, answer to the ALAC is "no".
>
> This does not mean that those who are trying to work within the ALAC
> format are in some way misguided or bad; but they have vastly more
> optimism that I have.
>
>                 --karl--

Regards and a very happy Thanksgiving,

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827