RE: [ga] A Question

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] A Question
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:24:43 +0100
  • Cc: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Karl,

I don't understand what the costs have to do with the domain tasting.
The reason of the tasting has been known over several months, if no
years. It is the 5-day Add Grace Period (AGP) during which 'registered'
domain names can be published (and tasted) but are not paid for a dime.
After insufficient pay-per-click revenue the registration costs are
fully refunded to the registrar involved in it.
AGP has significant conceptual flaws allowing suspect registrars to
legally proceed with the practice. According to the webhosting.info the
four currently fastest growing registrars are
GoDaddy, Domaindoorman, Belgiumdomains and Capitoldomains out of which
the last three (except for GoDaddy) are the well-known tasters; just
compare their gain/delete ratio or read articles about them on the
Internet. We could rather call them 'the fastest growing domain
tasters'. It's a shame that those three registrars are still
ICANN-accredited.
As far as I know there is just a proposal from the non-commercial
constituency sent to ICANN for further consideration, but I could't find
any response on it. I also sent some opinions and ideas on icann-alac
forum.

I see the problem in the persiting flawed AGP concept, not in costs,
fees or whatever responses from registries. The conceptual redefinition
(or, better, getting rid) of the AGP model is the ICANN's primary
responsibility to deal with. That's why I'm asking for the current
solution status of 'the domain abuse of last months'.

Dominik