Re: [ga] Isn't this special

  • To: Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Isn't this special
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 06:15:56 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny's point is well taken. It is not a statistical argument but a logical one. It also will stop some of the carpetbagging type problems we saw with dotLA and dotWS. What is good for fr may not be good for nz. cookie cutter accreditation also hurts innovation.

Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Danny,
interesting observation!

At 07:24 PM 12.10.2006 '?.' -0700, Danny Younger wrote:
>Eric,
>
>at the very least this service will serve to
>illustrate that ICANN needs to lower the financial
>requirement to become an ICANN-accredited registrar in
>developing countries.
>
>The current one-size-fits-all approach to
>accreditation has resulted in a very limited number of
>accredited registrars from the developing world.

Do you have statistic data about the number of accredited registrars
from developing countries? I think it's important to have such
registrars, and your point about the money makes sense. At the same
time, I know that private companies become
distributors/agents/dealers for registrars and thus they manage to
register quite a lot of domains. Yet, having a registrar would help
local businesses in a number of ways.

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com