Re: [ga] price policy

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] price policy
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>, Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl says it all except; ICANN should and likely will be held legally responsible for doing those things it is not supposed to do. And in that regard it is the duty of the courts to lay the hammer down on ICANN for such things as price fixing, conspiring to create monopolies and a host of RICO violations.
  But are they immune? Not yet they aren't!

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Karl and all,

Exactly right here Karl.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Veni Markovski wrote:
>
> > I'd say that it's not the same if someone buys 1 million domain names at
> > $ 1 each, or at $ 6 each. But in anycase - the bigger point is if ICANN
> > should regulate or not. I asked Karl similar question, but haven't heard
> > from him.
>
> Simple answer - and the same one that I've been saying since 1997 --- It
> is *not* ICANN's role to regulate any aspect of business, economic,
> social or legal policy except insofar as there is a direct, clear, and
> compelling technical necessity.
>
> In other words:
>
> - Trademark protection is not part of ICANN's job.
>
> - Regulation of unsolicited commercial email is not part of ICANN's job
>
> - Evaluation of the business models of domain name registries and
> registrars (except perhaps for the legacy .com/.net/.edu/.org/) is not
> ICANN's job.
>
> - Publication of Whois for the purposes of making the life of
> intellectual property attorneys easier is not ICANN's job.
>
> On the other hand ICANN's job is to guarantee to the community of
> internet users that the upper tier of DNS transform DNS queries into DNS
> without data mining, and in accord with widely accepted written internet
> technical standards.
>
> And that is a job that ICANN is not doing. That is why ICANN is like an
> e-Fema and DNS is like New Orleans in the balmy summer days of 2005
> before Katrina came over the horizon.
>
> --karl--

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827