Re: [ga] ICANN Board sells out to US Gov't

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Board sells out to US Gov't
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:49:19 -0700
  • Cc: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl, Dr. Dierker, Danny, George and all,

  My, and all of our members take on this decision by ntia and ICANN
is what it has always been, which very simply put again is:

1.) there need not be multiple WHOIS's, but only one.

2.) the "proxy" compromise was a week and dangerous one for
     both the registrant and those interested parties i.e. law enforcement
     and those whom may have an interest in registration information
     for various reasons, many of which has proven to be of a nefarious
     or onerous nature.

3.) ONLY law enforcement need unrestricted access to ALL of the
      data available, such as name and address of a registrant of
      any domain name.  Other contact information to address technical
      problems with a domain name, ect., ONLY requires phone # and/or
      email address contact information to be available in a WHOIS
      result from a query.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Hugh Dierker wrote:
> > I would like to know from Karl what his thoughts are on this respecting
> > a "sell out".
>
> Since the agreement has nothing that transfers any property or property
> rights ("government furnished equipment") to ICANN there is a rather
> open question what ICANN loses[*] by telling NTIA to take a flying leap
> at a rolling donut.
>
> [*] The answer, of course, is that the presence of NTIA's hand resting
> on ICANN's shoulder dissuades those who would otherwise consider legal
> claims against ICANN.  Were ICANN to shed its link to the US government,
> it would (as well as the vendors who participate in ICANN's forums), I
> suspect, be nearly instantly attacked in the US and abroad as a
> combination in restraint of trade.
>
> Personally I think that the question is long overdue and that ICANN
> would server the community of internet users by allowing that question
> to be squarely faced.
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827