Re: [ga] ICANN Board sells out to US Gov't

Hugh Dierker wrote:
I would like to know from Karl what his thoughts are on this respecting a "sell out".

Since the agreement has nothing that transfers any property or property rights ("government furnished equipment") to ICANN there is a rather open question what ICANN loses[*] by telling NTIA to take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

[*] The answer, of course, is that the presence of NTIA's hand resting on ICANN's shoulder dissuades those who would otherwise consider legal claims against ICANN. Were ICANN to shed its link to the US government, it would (as well as the vendors who participate in ICANN's forums), I suspect, be nearly instantly attacked in the US and abroad as a combination in restraint of trade.

Personally I think that the question is long overdue and that ICANN would server the community of internet users by allowing that question to be squarely faced.

		--karl--