Re: [ga] Comments regarding the LSE Report

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Comments regarding the LSE Report
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:17:47 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN BC list <BClist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael and all,

  The single biggest single problem I see with your recommendations
is that many, if not most real stakeholders are not members of any
GNSO constituency and cannot be because the rules for many
if not all of these constituencies is closed to many, if not most real
stakeholders.  Additionally as there is no non aligned or non affiliated
constituency as the DNSO general assembly once was, viable
and honest policy cannot ever be developed, as we have already
seem far too much of...

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Here are my comments in connection with the LSE report. As always I
> welcome any constructive feedback and encourage other individuals to
> speak up as this is an important process to provide stakeholders with an
> important voice in the gTLD policy development process.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael D. Palage
>
> Recommendation 1.
>
> A centralised register of all GNSO stakeholders should be established,
> which is up-to date and publicly accessible. It should include the
> members of Constituencies and others involved in the GNSO task forces.
> (Paragraph 2.5).
>
> MDP Comments: I do not diagree with this statement but I believe the LSE
> people need to elaborate a little more on what they are trying to
> achieve and how it would scale.
>

> Recommendation 2.
>
> GNSO Constituencies should be required to show how many members have
> participated in developing the policy positions they adopt. (Paragraph
> 2.14)
>
> MDP Comments: Fully support. With no record of who participated in the
> formation of a position, there is no accountability. This is totally
> inconsistent with what the community is demanding from the ICANN Board.
> In order for the Board to make an informed decision, they must have a
> record of how individual members within a constituency voted, not just
> how a handful of council members voted. Failure to have a record
> provides no accountability.
>

> Recommendation 3.
>
> There needs to be greater coherence and standardisation across
> Constituency operations. For this to work effectively, more ICANN staff
> support would be needed for constituencies. (Paragraph 2.22)
>
> MDP Comments: Do not disagree with this statement but believe a cost
> benefit analaysis needs to be prepared.  Additionally, there should be
> an exploration of the potential use of independent third party
> contractors instead of ICANN staff to prevent against the appearance of
> any conflict.
>
> Recommendation 4.
>
> A GNSO Constituency support officer should be appointed to help
> Constituencies develop their operations, websites and outreach activity.
> (Paragraph 2.23)
>
> MDP Comments: Same comments as above. Need to see a cost benefit
> analysis, and need to explore the potential use of independent third
> party contractors to prevent potential conflicts.
>

> Recommendation 5.
>
> Constituencies should focus on growing balanced representation and
> active participation broadly proportional to wider global distributions
> for relevant indicators. (Paragraph 2.39)
>
> MDP Comments:  I support for this recommendation.
>
> Recommendation 6.
>
> The basis for participation in GNSO activities needs to be revised, from
> Constituency-based membership to one deriving from direct ICANN
> stakeholder participation. (Paragraph 2.44)

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827