Re: [ga] 2 New Registry Service Requests Posted

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] 2 New Registry Service Requests Posted
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George,

During the month of May a total of 1,937,485 deletes
were processed by PIR.  We're talking in the general
neighborhood of $100,000 worth of additional revenue
for PIR monthly under this scheme at the five cent
rate.

The proposal was put forward in an attempt to deal
with domain tasting (see the PIR letter to ICANN at
http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0609&L=ncuc-discuss&T=0&F=&S=&P=2314
-- link at bottom of page)

Frankly, I don't think that 5 cents will dissuade
those engaged in the domain tasting practice -- if
anything, they will simply adjust their business
models accordingly to deal with a new fee structure
and domain tasting will continue unabated while PIR
profits from the exercise.

A better policy approach would be to eliminate the add
grace period entirely.

http://www.icann.org/registries/rsep/submitted_app.html