Re: [ga] Re: No more FUD -- what is the current size of the .com database?

At 03:53 AM 9/26/2006, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:24:58PM -0700,
 Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 52 lines which said:

> When we did our tests to see how big we could make the root zone
> before it went "boom" we began by simply elevating the then existing
> .com names to be root zone names - I think there were about
> 30,000,000 names in .com then.
>
> This was a few years back, but even then all we had to do was add a
> pile of memory to a decidedly non-studly, and definitely not
> expensive, PC.

[TLD operator hat on]

> Generally one can use load splitters to front-end DNS servers to spread
> the burden across many cheap machines

The DNS part of the registry is the easiest one. Many root name
servers run on regular PC. An ordinary out-of-the-box Dell server can
handle an huge DNS traffic and an huge zone file.

Then why is there not consistency across the globe on root server query performance?

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation (w) 617-395-8574