[correction] Re: [ga] sitefinder is back?

  • To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [correction] Re: [ga] sitefinder is back?
  • From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:44:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let's correct a key word, shall we? The key phrase would be that you can _not_ relate this to SiteFinder, IMHO.

-M<

At 04:06 PM 9/19/2006, kidsearch wrote:
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/03/1359221>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/03/1359221

This is not new news. You *cant* relate it to the SiteFinder
service since this is inside the borders of the ISP and does
not impact the global infrastructure. The relationship between
the provider and it's customers is not governed by ICANN.

It's likely they are using Paxfire. See http://www.paxfire.com/

There are some products coming out around DNS revenue
capture. If you examine what OpenDNS has done, it's taken
revenue from the providers. The providers are recapturing
that revenue. Theoretically[1], you can legitimately drop the
host routes from something like OpenDNS and redirect them to your
own solution within the confines of your own network and recapture
that revenue. We have a new layer developing between the provider
and their customers within the infrastructure they are
revenue pirates for all intents and purposes.

-M<

[1] There seems to be little reason to believe that there is any consequence of dropping a route to another location in a provider network, either redirecting it to a similiar provider operated service, or dropping altogether. The precedent would be Vixies modification of BIND in response to SiteFinder, and the creation and adaptation of RBL's. I am not aware of any case law to suppor that. IANAL.

--
Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation (w) 617-395-8574