RE: [ga] Outcome of discussion on string checks /representation

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Outcome of discussion on string checks /representation
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:20:22 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

  Correct me if I am wrong here. The members of the GAC are democratically, or at least representative democratically elected government representatives. Well.
  Wouldn't I rather have them make the choices then ICANN which is not elected at all by the users or netizens of the Net.

  Bad call or good call on .xxx I don't care. duly elected officials can make mistakes and we can vote them out.
  Don't forget it was ICANN that made the decision regardless of who leaned on them.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Chuck,

I agree with you that it would not be smart to repeat
what happened to .xxx (caving into to fanatical
right-wing pressure as exerted by the Bush
Administration). I disagree with you regarding the
need to consult with the GAC on matters of public
policy.

The role of meddling governments needs to be reduced,
not enhanced. The .xxx situation well illustrates
what happens when governments get involved. The GNSO
should be acting in concert to keep governments out of
the process as much as possible. They are a menace
and have demonstrated no ability to work in a timely
fashion. We don't needs these laggards mucking up the
process for the rest of us.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00203.html