  From: Gomes, Chuck
  To: kidsearch ; Prophet Partners Inc. ; ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 10:49 AM
  Subject: RE: [ga] significant user representation

  It might be helpful if I clarify my intended use of the word "activist".  I really did not mean it in a derogatory manner as some have apparently interpreted it.  Regardless of how anyone might define the word, I support the right for "activists" to participate in the process just like "non-activists".  My intended meaning was simply "those who are very active in the process".  The point I was trying to make is that a small group of very active people in a group do not necessarily represent the views of the larger group they claim to represent.  As Joop pointed out, in democracies it is usually the case that it is a small group of active participants who keep it functioning, and that is fine.  But I personally believe that trying to evaluate the level of represenativeness of any individual or group putting forth views is useful.  As I said before, even if they are not deemed to be very representative, their comments should still be considered, but the weight attributed should be considered in light of the broader community if that is possible.

  I think a good example of my point is the ALAC.  For several years now, the ALAC, as a committee tasked with helping to organize at-large community participation, has been putting forth position statements as coming from the full at-large community when in fact it appears that they mostly, if not exclusively, are the views of the committee itself (and maybe a subset of the committee) with minimal if any input from the broader at-large community.  If I am correct in my assessment of this, that does not mean that views from the committee should be ignored; I just believe that they should be received with the understanding that they are from a small group of individuals and not necessarily representative of the broader at-large community.  Moreover, if the views are the result of outreach and input from the broader community, then that should be documented in the statement.

  Chuck Gomes
  VeriSign Information Services