Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

> Which successful tlds are not for profit?

Paul Stahura wrote:
.org

I think one should be careful with the "not for profit" moniker.

Not-for-profits have a long, colored, history in which they have given excessive benefits to closely related parties - in the US Federal tax code this is the land in which "intermediate sanctions" lurk to bring down, in rather draconian ways, unwary recipients and directors.

ICANN is chartered as a "public-benefit/non-profit" corporation. The "non-profit" half does not mean that it has not generated large profits for closely related parties such as JDRP (the law firm that created it and that still services [all implications intended?] it). Nor has it prevented some salaries and benefits that would make many a cost-conscious for-profit CEO drool.

Perhaps the better half is the "public benefit" half, which indicates a kind of corporation, at least here in California, that has as its purpose the benefit of the public and which imposes on its directors a fiduciary obligation not merely towards the corporation but also towards the public.

The focus is best that of the benefit to the public, and its responsibility to the public, rather than any accounting fantasy of no profit remaining after "expenses."

Also, .org had the benefit of quite a bit of momentum from the pre-ICANN era and thus may not be the best indicator of what might befall similar efforts.

Ah, such a dearth of data. Let's start a TLD of the month club? 12 new TLDs a year? (I'd prefer one per hour, but hey, I'm willing to compromise - as long as .ewe has a realistic chance and doesn't have to pay ICANN exorbitant application fees for the purpose of an irrelevant panty raid through my business plans and backers - Once I promise operate my name servers in accord with published and broadly accepted written internet technical standards and with a capacity sufficient for my reasonably expected traffic load then that should be the end of the inquiry.)

		--karl--