Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

Hi Jeff,

There is a clear conflict of interest if a registry was allowed to become a
registrar in its own TLD. It's very difficult to envision non-preferential
treatment between the registry and its own registrar unit. Even though Chuck
said the other day that the Registry Constituency did not intend removing it
from all agreements, VeriSign DID make that specific recommendation to
remove the prohibition from ALL registry agreements.

"to maintain a level playing field, it should be removed from all existing
and proposed registry agreements as well."
See attachment at http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00186.html

VeriSign's actions with small TLDs deserves careful and continued scrutiny.
We are of the impression that they are trying to push through significant
rule changes under the radar. Once the proposals are adopted, they would
then demand equal terms from ICANN. VeriSign must be salivating at the
thought of getting presumptive renewal, price cap removal and unrestricted
data mining for its own .com and .net, as those clauses are in the proposed
.biz, .info and .org registry agreements.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com