Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

At 21:14 02/09/2006, Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:
Could you please provide an example of a registry without any registrars, so that the rest of us can see why it would be necessary to rescind a rule forbidding registries from becoming registrars in their own TLD?

Most ccTLDs are not using registrars. Registrars are of no use for us. You have a merchant concept of the internet. We have a national community service duty and we do not need them to open and manage a national window. However we can specially support (and credit them the cost of their service) the name consulting services which actually provide added value support to the registrants and relieves us( share with us) from our duty of assistance and information.

As you point out, if there is no registrant there is no need for a registry. This means that there is a need of registry only to the registrants. Please refer to oour initial agreement (documented by John Postel in RFC 920). Based upon the experience, we had accepted to support a new TLD at the international public services/arpanet gateway if there was a prospect of 500 names (multiorganization TLDs).

Druming a TLD is only trying to attract money from people who actually did not want first to register. When you need to register a name it means that you belong to the community needing a TLD and you know your TLD. The problem today is that you know the TLD you would like but ICANN prevents you to get it, so you are to chose a second-hand solution. And you fall back to the discounters market in the ICANN souk.

jfc