  From: Gomes, Chuck
  To: Karl Auerbach
  Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:44 AM
  Subject: Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  Karl,

  I am not in the least suggesting that any one group of interests should dictate policies or serve as the legislature of the Internet.  A personal opinion I have held for some time is that the GNSO Council  is not a legislative body but I believe there are some that treat it that way.  The main point I wanted to make is this: when people refer to ICANN, they often mean ICANN staff and Directors when in fact it is everyone who is involved in ICANN processes and there are many within that broader definition who support a very regulatory ICANN.

  When you talk about the direction ICANN is going with respect to new TLDs, I assume you mean the new gTLD PDP committee.  As a member of that committee representing registries, I am actually encouraged with the overall direction it is going and am even hopeful that for the first time we may actually see much more open expansion of the gTLD space.  I am even optimistic that TLDs such as .web and .ewe will have a fair shot.  I know we still have a long ways to go and ultimately the ICANN Board has to approve the final plan, but I sincerely believe that there are good chances that big changes may occur.  I am sure that the ultimate process approved will not be perfect but I think it will have some significant improvements including some that will address yor concerns.

  Chuck

  Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)