Re: [ga] Combined Response - Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Combined Response - Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 00:29:17 -0700
  • Cc: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

Excellent remarks in response here Karl.  See my less than excellent
comments below/in line yours..

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> I believe that there is still a significant dis-connect here.

Yes to a a very great degree there is.

> But first let me take a short detour through your comments:
>
> 1. You seem to accept the current registry price scheme of around $6+
> per name per year.  I do not.  It is an arbitrary figure - there has
> never been any audit or study to ascertain what actual registry costs
> are, but the overwhelming consensus is that the actual costs are much,
> much less.  That difference between the arbitrary fee, while perhaps
> only a couple of dollars per year, when cumulated tens of millions upon
> tens of millions of times across the backs of domain name users, well it
> really adds to a lot of money.

  Agreed, and very much discussed/debated yet shown that registry
operation cost cannot even justify $6+ per name per year in .com as
you rightly indicate here.

> 2. If ICANN is in the business of regulating business practices, which
> given its deep scrutiny of name strings and trademark rights and
> business plans it is, then we have to ask "for whose benefit is this
> regulation intended?"  If it is the domain name buyer, then the lifting
> of controls on price (and other sales terms) is contrary to goal of
> protecting internet users.  If the purpose is to protect the domain name
> industry, then we have a serious legal problem whether that is
> permissible at all.

  ICANN regulating business by reviewing same and charging a non refundable
fee for doing so is far outside ICANN's mandate other than checking on the
technical aspects is and remains IMHO outrageous.

> [...]
>
> 4. I keep reiterating the phrase "combination in restraint of trade"
> because I feel that ICANN is far out on a limb in this regard - and that
> as soon as the hand of NTIA is lifted that ICANN could find itself very
> much on the defensive, and even losing side of complaints grounded in
> antitrust considerations in the US, the EU, and elsewhere.
>
> And if we are concerned with the stability of DNS businesses, and many
> people are, what could be of more concern than that the foundation on
> which ICANN's pyramid of contracts stands might crumble into dust?
>
> 5. But is the purpose of ICANN to protect DNS business or marks or is it
> to ensure that DNS queries get turned into DNS responses?  The community
> of internet users really has no more concern for the former than it does
> that United Airlines stays in business, i.e. life will continue.  But
> the community of internet users has a direct and real concern about the
> latter - if DNS queries stop resolving, then for all intents and
> purposes the internet itself stops.
>
> But ICANN has completely disengaged from such matters, leaving internet
> users with an unfulfilled expectation that ICANN is watching over things
> and making sure that their internet appliances and VOIP phones and other
> things don't stop working because DNS has wobbled off of its axis.
>
> 6. I use my .ewe TLD as an example of a kind of TLD plan that is
> creative (at least I think so) but that is doomed to never pass the
> ICANN gauntlet because it does not fit into ICANN's arbitrary choices as
> to what DNS products should look like, how they should be sold and
> priced, and under what terms.  (Moreover, I don't want to throw away the
> application fee [a la year 2000] or pay for my business plan to be strip
> searched by ICANN for ICANN-prohibited business plan contraband.)
>
> ICANN has turned the DNS into a bastion of stodgy non-innovation.
>
> How long that will last is anybody's guess - it might be indefinitely,
> until the next big thing comes along - or it might be until the root
> splits.  Whatever it might be, ICANN's damming (could also be spelled
> "damning") of any but the most conservative and unimaginative TLD plans,
> coupled with extortionately high application fees, is creating a kind of
> ticking bomb.  When it goes off there will be far more damage caused
> then than there would be if ICANN realized that almost every restriction
> it is imposing is irrelevant to the needs of its beneficiaries (the
> community of internet users) and relaxed things now.
>
> 7. As to staff - We can talk about that offline.  In my final report to
> the board -
> http://www.cavebear.com/icann-board/icann-evaluation-public-version.pdf
> - in my business judgment as a Director, I felt that ICANN ought to make
> several changes in its staff and contractor situation.
>
> I don't want to imply that ICANN has no good employees, quite the
> contrary, like most companies, most people are good, some are great, and

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827