Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:43:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michael,

We appreciate your post outlining the pros and cons of the tiered pricing
model and your proposed solution. However, we believe that the problem is
far greater than just tiered / variable pricing. The registry agreements
need to include price caps to prevent abusive registry behavior. In our
opinion, your proposal as outlined is flawed.

"Registry Operator shall not impose any tiered (variable) pricing model on
any actively registered domain name. This restriction shall not apply to any
uniformly applied fee increases imposed on all registrants, such as a fixed
percentage annual increase."

Under this proposal, profit maximizing registries would have the ability to
exploit existing registrants by charging exorbitant renewal fees at the
expense of adding new registrants. It is possible that a registry may
determine that the way to maximize their revenues is to raise all prices
across the board by 1,000% or more. In this scenario, existing registrants
would be held hostage due to the effort and expenses already invested into
developing their domains.

Tiered pricing in any form is simply not an acceptable solution. Price caps
must be a mandatory part of current and future registry agreements.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com