Re: [ga] Re: more tlds = more competition in my opinion, was: Re: Election...

Hmmm. Okay I just have a question. So if you got approved to run a tld of your creation, ICANN would also allocate part of that to someone else as well?

Kind of reminds me of .biz :)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Patrick Vande Walle
  To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:16 AM
  Subject: [ga] Re: more tlds = more competition in my opinion, was: Re: Election...

  kidsearch wrote:

more tlds = more competition in my opinion.to which Karl Auerbach replied:

So, once we plant our feet into a given TLD, for many of us,
competition, at least among TLDs, ceases.Very true. Add to that all TLDs do not have the same appeal for a company or individual wishing to get a domain name. Real competition will only happen once it will be technically possible to have several registries competing in the same TLD space. This would require a major overhaul of the DNS system and I wish ICANN could take a lead on that. I am not suggesting ICANN should do the job of the IETF, but rather tell the IETF what features it wants. After all, it is not cast in stone that we need to keep the same specs forever.

  This would of course cause major concerns for established registries. But those registries providing excellent customer service should have nothing to fear. If they are good, they will keep their customers. But at least the customers would have a choice.

  Patrick Vande Walle