Re: [ga] to put an end

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] to put an end
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl Auerbach wrote:

>While I think we can all agree the comment about geography was a
>misdirected arrow,

Not at all. According to just about every major international organization
on the planet including IANA (see http://www.iana.org/root-whois/mk.htm),
the official label used for the fledgling state in question is FYROM
(Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) period.  The fact that a Director
on ICANN's Board chooses to be an irredentist agitator publicly on this
matter ought to be a matter of some concern to ICANN. After all, it's not
like he's unaware of the fact that there is a controversy surrounding the
use of the Greek name "Macedonia".

Allow me to remind everyone of the words of US Secretary of State
Stettinius on 26 Dec. 1944:

"This Government considers talk of Macedonian "nation", Macedonian
"Fatherland", or Macedonia "national consciousness" to be unjustified
demagoguery representing no ethnic nor political reality, and sees in its
present revival a possible cloak for aggressive intentions against Greece.

The approved policy of this Government is to oppose any revival of the
Macedonian issue as related to Greece. The Greek section of Macedonia is
largely inhabited by Greeks, and the Greek people are almost unanimously
opposed to the creation of a Macedonian state."

So, in short, Mr. Markovski cannot pretend to be ignorant of these and
related facts of the world we live in.

And yes Karl, every question that was put to him was unanswered except
one;  and he even had the effrontery to espouse knowledge of a cultural
identity and history he cannot possibly have any inkling of.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
Macedonian