Re: [ga] ...a palpable hit

On 01:07 10/08/2006, kidsearch said:
The only user participation ICANN's Board seems to want is any that supports
their position. We are to be thankful for being allowed to speak up at all
it seems.

May be time now to try to _understand_ how it comes that they have a position and what is that position. Many people over nearly a decade sharing the same "position" when they join the BoD (Karl being the exception?)

I am afraid this possible only if the real ICANN position over the years is the lack of position, slowly eroding everything (including the price cap). They claim this is their position because they just cannot do otherwise. Please show me a single achievement of ICANN. I accept you can claim a few things like the UDRP, the Registrars, etc. But are they not actual semi-failures, organising the "laissez-faire" to make believe that what others wanted is the ICANN success. They just patch a situation they do not control, making it eventuelley worse. Even now the number of TLDs they faught to keep small is eroding.

Many people now have been BoD Members. We had two Chairs, three Presidents. Touton and Sim are gone. So, we cannot really claim it is to do with the people. We cannot say it is to do with money: ICANN just knows how to spend money. We cannot say it is due to an American nexus: the institution and most of the people are Americans, but many foreigners shared in it. And the Multilingual Internet is developping aside.

My feeling is that this is just that the ICANN concept is wrong and whatever you or people want to do, ICANN by itself is architecturally useless and inadequate. This is a central entity in a distributed environment. Whatever you try doing with it and in it, it will stay what it is: inadequate.

No one likes to be perceived as inadequate. So they try to make believe - a (very) few being conscious they are of no use, but not seeing how to replace ICANN and hoping that it is actually the least bad solution. They do not ask for help, suggestions, etc. they could not follow. They look for alibis.

jfc