RE: [ga] ...a palpable hit

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ...a palpable hit
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:46:02 +0000
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Sotiris!

Since you asked, here's my view.
Domain name tasting is by and large a nuisance to internet users. And not only to domain name registrants, who might be deprived of broader choice of names (names are kept out of the market in the grace period registration/deletion game), but also to the plain net surfer who gets misled by search engines, landing on sites that were not the ones he/she was looking for. As time is money, I would argue that the loss of time by the user has an actual monetary value, and on top of that a lot of people pay their internet access by the time of connection.
And yes, I agree with Karl, the actual raw cost for the registry is substantially lower than the cost charged to registrars.
Anyway, my opinions were known, also because I participated to a public debate in Marrakesh on the subject, and I brought exactly these positions, that are incidentally the positions of the ALAC.

However, I would take this chance to make another couple of related comments.
First of all, personally, I would be inclined to get rid altogether of the deletion grace period: this was intended for allowing registrants who mistyped the name to revert the transaction, but (again personally) I have to observe that in the real world most often than not one pays for his/her own mistakes. However, do I remember correctly that the deletion grace period was introduced exactly following indication from the community that registrants/consumers should be protected? I remember even a discussion where the point was made that registrants not normally using ASCII were more error-prone than others, so we even had a cultural issue.
Secondly, I have to say that I did not appreciate at all the fact that one Director who engaged in dialogue on this list has been vehemently attacked. In my experience as Liaison, Veni is among the most available to dialogue and to listen to every point of view. Of course, he is entitled to have his own opinion, which may differ from the people arguing with him, but that does not mean he is not listening. IMHO, it is a mistake for the GA to burn out the relationship with people like him: it only reduces further the chance to be listened.

Cheers,
Roberto