RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:30:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George,

I think your analogy is not only inapplicable here, but also highly
inappropriate.

I am not sure if you are making the analogy just to get people excited,
but the Common Short Code Registry and .BIZ are completely different
services.  About the only thing in common is that they are called
"registries."

FYI, NeuStar operates the Common Short Code Registry under an agreement
with the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association ("CTIA").
NeuStar does not set the price for common short codes (unlike your
statement below).  That is set by the CTIA.  The money funds not only
the registry operations, but also a number of key CTIA programs and
functions.  For more information on that, you can visit
www.uscommonshortcodes.com.  A copy of the contract between NeuStar and
the CTIA can also be obtained by looking at the public SEC filings
(under the stock ticker "NSR").

With respect to .BIZ, while it is true that there are no contractual
prohibitions in the new draft contracts on raising the pricing for .BIZ
domain names (other than providing 6 months notice to registrars), we
also operate in a real-world competitive market, where we are tying our
best to compete with the .com/.net registry operator that controls 85%
of the gTLD market and growing. Regardless of what you may believe, the
reality is that VeriSign controls pricing for the entire industry.

Although you insinuate that we could raise prices, do you honestly
believe that we could really get away with raising prices and not suffer
a huge loss in the demand for our services?  We operate in a real
economic market and not in a theoretical hypothetical world.  In other
words, do you really think .BIZ could get away with raising prices above
that for a .com domain name and survive?  We do not.  We believe that if
we were to raise prices without a corresponding increase in .com prices,
registrants would switch from .BIZ to .com or .net in a heartbeat.

I hope that sets some further context for the discussion as we move
forward.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.