Re: [ga] Comment Submitted on .biz, .info, and .org contracts

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Comment Submitted on .biz, .info, and .org contracts
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:39:02 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I'm not sure if your post was meant to be amusing or something, but
let's assume you were being serious:

--- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Accordingly, the exact same contract that cements the
> bond between ICANN and the gTLD operators of .edu,
> .gov, .int and .mil should be offered to the
> organizations sponsoring .biz, .info and .org.

Those are restricted TLDs, essentially owned by their operators. While
one can see the financial benefit to the registry operator of "owning"
.biz, .info and .org, as gTLDs that are open to the broad public, they
simply can not be trusted to operate without controls.

> A respected coordinator of the Internet's domain name
> system would not require a series of contracts.  Only
> heavy-handed managers require contracts, and no one
> has expressed the desire for a heavy-handed ICANN.
> The community will accept a Coordinator... anything
> beyond that is a load that we will not willingly bear.

If the operators of .biz were free to charge what the market would bear
for sex.biz or sex.info or sex.org, or other more valuable domains, via
the price discrimination mechanism I described in my initial post
(where the registry can set a different price for every domain, to
maximize its profits, like .tv), that's a direct expropriation of
wealth and value from registrants that is transferred to registries.
That's unacceptable -- creation of more abusive monopolies is not what
ICANN should be encouraging. Contracts are needed to explicitly prevent
these abuses of registrants.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/