Re: [ga] DOC Notice of Inquiry, Notice of Public Meeting re: ICANN

At 15:43 03/06/2006, kidsearch wrote:

I only wish I was as eloquent. But I agree with it. I want ICANN to bring
back the GA and elect more than half the board to represent individual users
OR continue to give ICANN technical admin but turn policy decisions over to
an org where more than half the board is elected by a GA.

ICANN is an NTIA Agency managing what the NTIA makes the Internationalised US Internet. This has resulted in several US positions and in the Tunis agreement. Its particular mission has lead to a particular structure. Its role is the role of every National Internet Coordination (NIC) as they should progressively appear (we have incorporated a French test organisation [AFRAC] to that end 2 years and half ago).

- permit the TLDs necessary to the US industry
- interface the foreign ccTLDs
- produce the NTIA name and number directories (root file)
- support the US national reference center (used by most for the time being): IANA
This is what is written in the NTIA proposition documenting the ICANN delegation.

This job can be assumed 2 persons, a lawyer, and the NTIA occasional assistance to escalate the tricky possible conflicts and special siuations which might endanger the US and allies' business (like a TLD Manager going broke). The BoD has a limited importance, and impact, except to make people believe. The rest is wasted money.
jfc