Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs

At 19:54 08/03/2006, Karl Auerbach wrote:
n Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Hugh Dierker wrote:

You did not address whether or not this can "hurt" the "net" as the rest of us use it.

I am having trouble finding the harm. I rely on experts like yourself to break it down and tell me why it is bad.

Despite the shrill noises emitted by Stuart Lynn's ICP3 there is no technical harm caused by competing roots.

If coordinated correctly. If not you may have some fools (like ICANN) trying to takeover an existing name. This is an invasion war. We did not find a real good system yet to prevent war. But better a ".biz" war that the Peter de Blanc's nuclear option.

And that is where trademark law becomes our friend - trademark law is designed for exactly this purpose, to let consumers have a means to distinguish and identify goods and services (TLDs). To do this we allow trademark (TLD owners) to duke it out to find out who has the right to label their goods and services with a particular mark. That process is well established in law; we don't need a body of internet governance to do it.

Our great passed victory: TLDs cannot be trademarked. jfc