[ga] A Day Which Will Live In Infamy

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] A Day Which Will Live In Infamy
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:22:33 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ICANN's Board voted to accept the latest settlement proposal by a vote
of 9 to 5.

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-28feb06.htm

This truly is a day which will live in infamy, and the 5 who voted
against it have my respect. The war's surely not over, though, as the
theatre shifts to the Department of Commerce, who would need to approve
the contractual changes. That is not assured. Should the DoC reject it
(and if they have any folks with economics backgrounds, they would do
so in a jiffy), ICANN's days as a body are numbered.

VeriSign should not begin partying. If one recalls, the ICANN Board
also voted to approve WLS (another poor decision), in March 2004, yet
it hasn?t seen the light of day.

ICANN?s Board should read the history of Neville Chamberlain
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Chamberlain ), who said in 1938
"My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime
Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honour. I
believe it is peace for our time."

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/