Re: [ga] NTIA "Request for Information" on the IANA Functions

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Danny Younger wrote:

re:  "Good or bad, ICANN is the only US acceptable
solution for the IANA"

One question that I have not seen asked is this:

Why should the US be paying, or even contracting for, what are largely clerical services in support of the IETF?

The IETF is but one of several bodies that create standards upon which the internet operates. If we count noses we will find more packets bearing IEEE defined headers than IETF ones. And there's the W3C and even the ITU (we are still using many pieces of the old OSI work.)

Yet all of these other bodies pay for their own secretarial services.

Either *all* of these should get the same government endowed benefits as received by the IETF or *none* of them should.

ccTLD delegation should not be blended into the protocol parameter job.

ccTLD delegation is an issue separate and apart from protocol parameters and needs to be housed in a very tiny, very constrained, tightly focused, and politically insulated body that does only that job and nothing else.

		--karl--