Re: [ga] NTIA "Request for Information" on the IANA Functions

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] NTIA "Request for Information" on the IANA Functions
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:41:57 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re:  "But do you really think that NTIA might consider
a European candidate?"

Joop,

One of the problems is that the current IANA Functions
contract cites certain legal clauses such as:

"The Contractor shall comply with the following FAR
clauses, incorporated by reference, unless the
circumstances do not apply:

(1) The clauses listed below implement provisions of
law or Executive order:

52.225-3, Buy American Act--Supplies (Jan 1994) (41
U.S.C. 10) (Applies to supplies, and to services
involving the furnishing of supplies, if the contract
was -- (A) Under $25,000"

As the IANA Functions contract has historically been a
zero dollar contract, the "Buy American" provisions
may continue to apply.  This may force the NTIA to
perhaps consider a U.S. firm such as NeuStar (that
currently provides Secretariat service to the IETF) as
the most viable candidate should an RFP emerge.

While speculation on possible candidates may be an
entertaining exercise, perhaps we should start
thinking about the future of ICANN should it no longer
be tasked with the performance of the IANA functions.
For example, would there remain any long-term
justification for transitioning the root server
management from VeriSign to ICANN as now contemplated
in the ICANN-VeriSign settlement agreement?  Would the
IAB support such a transition if ICANN no longer
handled the IANA functions?