Re: [ga] NTIA "Request for Information" on the IANA Functions

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] NTIA "Request for Information" on the IANA Functions
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:55:31 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Joop and Jefsey,

This event should not have come as a surprise to
anyone.  We all knew the date of the expiration of the
IANA Functions contract.  We all knew that a new
procurement was scheduled (sole-source or otherwise),
and we all know that the IANA functions were a topic
of discussion in the WSIS process.

My own contribution on this topic was posted here:
http://www.wgig.org/docs/Comment-Younger.doc

[excerpt]
"We know that a large number of entities took issue
with these sole-source procurements arguing that other
candidates were also well-positioned to handle the
IANA functions.  The U.S. Department of Commerce
received commentary from the Internet Multicasting
Service, from Nominet, from CENTR and from other
parties (including a sizable group of U.S. based
NGOs), citing concerns and pointing to organizations
that might be willing to participate in an open and
competitive bidding process ? these possible
candidates included The American Registry for Internet
Numbers, The Corporation for National Research
Initiatives and The Internet Society, among others.

The overall concern, which was also expressed by
ICANN?s own DNSO General Assembly, was ICANN?s
performance of the IANA function which many felt
threatened the stability, security, and reliability of
the Internet.

It should be noted that a primary actor, the Internet
Architecture Board, expressed ?deep concerns? about
the operation of the protocol parameter function which
were spelled out in a series of formal communiqués
that were transmitted to ICANN including the ?IAB
Response to ICANN Evolution and Reform, the ?IAB
Response to ICANN Evolution and Reform Committee
Second Interim Report?, and the ?IAB Response to ICANN
Evolution and Reform Committee Final Implementation
Report?.   These communiqués from the IAB underlined a
lack of confidence in the current administration of
the IANA."

If anything, the USG is pragmatic and seeks
performance enhancements.  Sorry, I don't view the
development as extraordinary; I view it as scheduled,
expected and understandable in view of past
performance and current concerns.