Re: [ga] The faltering GNSO PDP

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The faltering GNSO PDP
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:28:53 -0800
  • Cc: vint@xxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO/DNSO <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO/DNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Did you actually expect anything different Danny boy?  Well I surely
didn't.  Welcome again to the "REAL" ICANN!  Where leadership
is abysmal and self interest with COI abounds...

Danny Younger wrote:

> Vint,
>
> I would like to express my concern regarding the
> current status of the GNSO PDP on new TLDs.
>
> Rather than forming a task force to handle the PDP,
> the GNSO Council decided to convene a Committee of the
> Whole.  It's now one month since the start of the PDP,
> and while any task force would surely have gotten down
> to business weeks ago by initiating discussion on the
> relevant issues, the Council as a Committee of the
> Whole has yet to start taking about any issue that
> actually pertains to new TLDs (instead all they're
> doing is whining about the PDP timelines).
>
> Further, discussion at the constituency level is
> almost non-existent, and frankly I expect to see
> nothing more in the coming weeks than the sight of the
> constituencies merely trotting out their prior
> position papers and statements without any
> constituency-level discussion.  Neither have I seen
> the constituencies acting to appoint representatives
> to solicit the constituency's views on the issues (the
> sole exception being the registrars constituency).
>
> It's sad.  Some would argue that new TLDs are a major
> part of ICANN's raison d'etre.  This is not how such
> an important matter should be handled.  Policy should
> be guided by the fruits of substantive discussions.
> I'm not seeing "substance" at the moment nor the
> prospect of any substance in the immediate future.
>
> Just as you and other Board members have chosen to
> interact with the GA on occasion, I would ask you to
> consider interacting with the Council in a way that
> will spur the necessary discussions.
>
> Best regards,
> Danny

Regards

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827