[ga] The faltering GNSO PDP

  • To: vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] The faltering GNSO PDP
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 06:30:55 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint,

I would like to express my concern regarding the
current status of the GNSO PDP on new TLDs.

Rather than forming a task force to handle the PDP,
the GNSO Council decided to convene a Committee of the
Whole.  It's now one month since the start of the PDP,
and while any task force would surely have gotten down
to business weeks ago by initiating discussion on the
relevant issues, the Council as a Committee of the
Whole has yet to start taking about any issue that
actually pertains to new TLDs (instead all they're
doing is whining about the PDP timelines).

Further, discussion at the constituency level is
almost non-existent, and frankly I expect to see
nothing more in the coming weeks than the sight of the
constituencies merely trotting out their prior
position papers and statements without any
constituency-level discussion.  Neither have I seen
the constituencies acting to appoint representatives
to solicit the constituency's views on the issues (the
sole exception being the registrars constituency).

It's sad.  Some would argue that new TLDs are a major
part of ICANN's raison d'etre.  This is not how such
an important matter should be handled.  Policy should
be guided by the fruits of substantive discussions.
I'm not seeing "substance" at the moment nor the
prospect of any substance in the immediate future.

Just as you and other Board members have chosen to
interact with the GA on occasion, I would ask you to
consider interacting with the Council in a way that
will spur the necessary discussions.

Best regards,
Danny

Just $16.99/mo. or less.