Re: [ga] At-Large membership: definition

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] At-Large membership: definition
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:29:06 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <ksmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am i said.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Vittorio and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

If inclusiveness is truly the goal, which it doesn't seem to be, than
individuals not associated with ANY "Group" should be able to
join as individual stakeholders/users to any At-Large structure that
is legitimate. Anything else is smoke and mirrors...

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Danny Younger ha scritto:
> > Vittorio,
> >
> > I refer you to the Membership Advisory Committee
> > Commentary on the Principles of the At-large
> > Membership:
> >
> > 1. At-large membership should primarily represent
> > those individuals and organizations that are not
> > represented by the Supporting Organizations (SOs).
> > http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rcs/macberlin.html
> >
> > In view of this definition (arrived at by consensus
> > through the ICANN process), can you explain to me on
> > what basis the ALAC certified the Intellectual
> > Property & Technology (IPT) Section of the Hawaii
> > State Bar Association as an at-large structure?
> >
> > Intellectual property lawyers are already represented
> > within the GNSO. They have a constituency called the
> > Intellectual Property Constituency. Why didn't you
> > refer these applicants to their proper home within
> > ICANN instead of bastardizing the concept of At-Large
> > membership even further?
>
> I can only tell you what were my own reasons for voting in favour.
> From the diligence we made, it seems that the applicant is looking
> towards a broader perspective than the simple promotion of IP interests
> - they are apparently not interested in acting just as IP lawyers, but
> rather as individual users of the net. My idea is that - in the same
> spirit as in the original At Large elections, by the way - no one should
> be prevented from joining the At Large; that's exactly the sense of the
> term "primarily" in the document you quote, which, by the way, is not
> the binding definition of our constituency and mission, which is rather
> to be found in the ICANN Bylaws, and where the focus - appropriately, I
> think - is shifted from "everyone else" to "individual users of any kind".
> You should look at the At Large in the overall, not in its individual
> constituents; the only way to prevent capture by any group is for all
> groups to participate. I am looking forward to see other groups and
> organizations participating in the future - the solution is to be more
> inclusive, rather than less inclusive.
> Regards,
> --
> vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
> http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...

Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

Yahoo! Photos