Re: [ga] A Concrete "Thin Contract" Proposal

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Concrete "Thin Contract" Proposal
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:23:23 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Eric,

Re:  "How about this one; in blah blah blah 2001 i
wrote?  Ah what the heck look it up on the GA Review."

For the heck of it, I looked it up:

"I am finding nothing in the ICANN amendments or
policies that disbands or sunsets the GA of ICANN.
Certainly a resolution cannot do it. In fact it seems
quite the opposite;

Section   5 of
http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-13oct03.htm
the latest version states in part 9;

9. Upon the adoption of this Transition Article, and
until further action by the ICANN Board, the GNSO
Council shall assume responsibility for the DNSO
General Assembly e-mail announcement and discussion
lists.

Hmm, but that seems to suggest a few important
details,

1. The archives are supposed to be maintained.

2. Announcements are to be posted here.

3. The GA may organize itself.

4. The GA is to be a place of discussion.

5. There are no restrictions on matters to be
discussed and no protocol as to how decisions made
here are to be reported.

I would suggest organizing the GA into discussion and
opinions and reports as a shadow of the ICANN
structure;

http://www.icann.org/general/org-chart-12jan04.gif

So it seems that ICANN has not blocked GA involvement
but simply left it up to participants to organize from
the bottom up in a truly open and transparent and free
manner. A good out for all concerned participants.

Eric
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga/msg01638.html

I support your recommendation to organize the GA to
advance discussions.

Over the course of many years, Susan Crawford has
taken the time to offer thoughtful commentary on
topics ranging from "Why Consensus Matters" to
contract considerations.  The community has respected
her initiatives and contributions and now she sits on
the ICANN Board of Directors.  Because it often takes
years for ICANN to reach a decision on important
matters, there remains a continuing value in looking
up and assessing prior contributions.  I thought that
Susan's thoughts on registry contracts had merit and
as the GNSO is looking at the issue that it was
appropriate to shake the dust off of this document.

There are times when we can sit back and wax
philosophical about issues; there are other times when
we need to buckle down and offer very specific
guidance.  This is one of those times.  A PDP is
underway and by the end of March the clock runs out
when the Council meets in final session to arrive at a
supermajority vote.