Re: [ga] truth in domains law

  • To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] truth in domains law
  • From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:15:42 +1300
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 12:25 p.m. 29/12/2005, kidsearch wrote:

I never knew about this law. Does everyone? My question is if they create a .xxx name could they intend to use this law to say that any porn website that is not in .xxx is in violation of it? I just don't put anything past the government lately.

<http://www.cybertelecom.org/dns/truth.htm>http://www.cybertelecom.org/dns/truth.htm

It is a strange law, a feel-good measure to erect one more minute and ineffective barrier for the protection of minors from pornography.

From the text of the law it is not clear whether "misleading" is only the profiting from typos in the names for popular sites as in the case that went to court, or also names like candy-store.com or humpty-dumpty.com

If a "misleading DN", [say one such as finance.yahhoo.com] points to any other kind of site with objectionable content such as scams or frauds, political falsities, hate promulgation or bombmaking, it appears not to be covered by this law, in spite of the broad title.

It would need  different kind of laws  to corral content into chartered TLD's.

--Joop--

www.icannatlarge.com