Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:12:41 -0800
  • Cc: icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Danny, Dr. Dierker, and Karl all make good points.  As a matter of
remembrance, .EDU was a sole source contract to Mike Roberts,
just after he left his post as the first ICANN CEO.  This was hotly
discussed as I recall at that time [See archives of this list forum].

Hence, than Dr. Dierkers point is partly well made as well.  However
as ICANN is supposed to be a non-profit calif. Corp. and a point
that Dr. Dierker and I have frequently pointed out and have had
some problems as to how it garners it's operationg capital/funding,
having a "Contract" that includes a business element or clauses,
would seem to violate the legal requirements for a a 501 C3 corp.

Also hence, as Karl is also partly correct in his concern, that being
no need for a contract misses his own stated suggested requirement
that some stated but yet defined fully defined technical requirements.
Hence a contract of that sort is or should be required.