Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP

  • To: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:34:59 -0800
  • Cc: "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

First let me say thank you for your prompt and concise response here
Vint.

I agree with your analysis.  However, isn't detecting
potential collisions a technical concern and therefore
within ICANN's purview as well as a good technical
criterion as Karl has previously pointed out, for such
applications for IDN's?  And if so, why should coordination
be a concern if prevention during the submittal review
process should cover detecting potential collisions?

I also seem to recall that .biz was a collision that was
caused by ICANN...

Vint Cerf wrote:

> If we were to pursue this course, one would expect each ccTLD to make a
> selection, where appropriate;  ICANN would be responsible for detecting
> potential collisions and coordinating to eliminate them.  Some ccTLD
> operators would not need an IDN TLD if the existing one suited the local
> language/script.
>
> Vinton G Cerf
> Chief Internet Evangelist
> Google/Regus