[ga] Decision Time

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Decision Time
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:03:46 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In "A Plan for Action Regarding New gTLDs", Stuart
Lynn wrote:

"Some would argue that continuing to carve up the TLD
space, even with sponsored TLDs, in a somewhat ad hoc
manner is bad policy, that there should be some
established model for how new TLDs should be
introduced, a taxonomy as it were. That is certainly a
point to be considered by the Board in setting the
selection criteria for any future round of sTLDs.
Others believe this question should be left to the
marketplace to decide and there should be no
constraints on proposals other than their technical
adequacy. Both points of view are valid. In any new
round of new TLDs, the Board would have to decide
whether to simply reiterate the selection criteria
from the new TLD process used in 2000, or whether
changes (such as a rationalization of the name space
and associated uTLD strings) are desirable."
http://www.icann.org/committees/ntepptf/new-gtld-action-plan-18oct02.htm

Recent discussions with Vint on this list have
detailed the possibility of according each ccTLD a
single IDN TLD.  As there are at the moment 248
ccTLDs, this means that we could potentially be adding
another 248 namespaces to the mix in a single round on
a taxonomic basis.

The question that we need to be asking ourselves is
this:
should the introduction of these IDNs take precedence
over the introduction of other desirable new gTLDs?

This is a policy choice that needs to be made, and we
are in the midst of a policy development procedure.
It's time to speak up about our choice going forward
and to offer a rationale for our decision.