Re: [ga] Selection Criteria: The EU perspective

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Selection Criteria: The EU perspective
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:26:16 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This part bothers me.

· Financial standing

>The applicants also need to have a sound financial basis. Accordingly, the
quality of the business plan will be taken carefully into account and will
be >thoroughly analysed by the Commission. Indeed, the contract between the
Commission and the Registry will be for a 5-year period which implies >that
the Registry must show that it can maintain its financial strength to
weather whatever contingencies that may appear during this time. In any case
>the Commission will not provide for needs of the Registry.

Sound financial condition is okay. But they are not qualified to tell me if
my business plan is viable or not. They are not omnipotent and their job is
not to review my business plan and approve or diapprove of it. They aren't
loaning me money.

My business plan is none of ICANN's business. I may have a business plan
that will surprise and awe the business world as long as it is not revealed
too soon.

I might have a business plan that will change the Internet in ways never
thought of before.

I may have a secret plan to take over the world like pinky and the brain.

Bottom line is that it is my business plan. And although I might have to
reveal it to a financial institution if applying for a loan, I don't need to
reveal it to a group of businesspeople who pretend to be concerned board
members of a nonprofit organization who shouldn't be telling me whether I
can or cannot go forward with the plan for my business. These same
businesspeople who sit on the BoD may be, or be friends with, or may have
financial interest in my competitors. They may turn down my application in
order to give it to someone else who will take my ideas and run with them.

Of course I wouldn't want it to appear that I distrust them or anything.
</sarcasm>