[ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP

  • To: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: IDNs & the GNSO New TLD PDP
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:53:15 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint,

on the topic of upper bounds for IDN TLDs, if "for the
present the suggested number is one" then I would
think that selection criteria becomes rather important
-- what type of IDN gets selected (and who makes that
selection, the registry operator or ICANN)?.

I recall the Discussion Paper on Non-ASCII Top-Level
Domain Policy Issues that identified categories of
potential TLD strings based on the semantic meaning of
the string itself:

1. Semantic association with Geographic Units
2. Semantic association with Languages
3. Semantic association with Cultural Groups or
Ethnicities
4. Semantic association with Existing Sponsored TLDs
5. Semantic association with Existing Unsponsored TLDs

6. Everything else.

http://www.icann.org/committees/idn/non-ascii-tld-paper.htm

Do you recall whether this earlier IDN Committee made
any specific recommendations as to the best way
forward?  Sorry, I couldn't find their follow-up work.