Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:51:05 -0500
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Point taken, Danny, but it's only a "technical" plan needed, not a consumer
protection plan. I'm not enough of a techie to understand all the
ramifications of a registry failure. The point I was making is that there
aren't huge hurdles to opening up the process to everyone who has the
ability to manage a TLD. It certainly doesn't take a $50,000 non-refundable
apllication fee.

What that reminds me of is something that happened when I owned a small
contracting company in Philadelphia. The federal government gave Philly a 60
million dollar grant to fix up the houses in the inner city. The feds
attached a string to the funds, that the city must allow small contractors
to bid on the contracts.

The city agreed. Then the city put the money into an account and opened the
bidding. In the rules of the bidding process, they stipulated that each
contractor must pay for all labor and materials and licenses, etc., then the
city would pay you on the contract one year after the completion of the job.

Bottom line: Only big contractors could afford to do that, so all the money
went to big contractors anyway. That type of manipulation is at work in the
TLD process in my honest opinion.

Chris McElroy
http://www.mostwantednewspaper.com
http://www.wholettheblogout.com