[ga] Whereas, the Board is not persuaded...

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Whereas, the Board is not persuaded...
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 04:40:16 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff writes:  "Why should Vint need to be convinced?"

Perhaps Jeff has forgotten this remark that resulted
in the loss of all at-large directors:  "Whereas, the
Board is not persuaded that global elections are the
only or the best means of achieving meaningful public
representation or the informed participation of
Internet users in the ICANN process"

The Board and Vint in particular need to be convinced
otherwise the consequences for our community may be
dire, once again.

The Board at present is a collection of individuals
from diverse backgrounds, many of whom are uneducated
with respect to the history of the subject matter at
hand.

For example, Joi Ito writes on his blog:  "I think
that on the issue of whether there should be new
gTLD... I think it's a complicated issue that involves
many constituents and experts and I for one do not
have a strong view until I hear the opinions and
recommendations of the many people working on this
question now. The difficulty is that there are so many
good arguments for just about every theory... Sorry
about my lack of opinion on this issue. It is one that
I am trying desperately to become more educated in."

Those members of the Board with little knowledge of
the debate on the rationale for new TLDs will tend to
hearken to those members of the Board with a technical
background (like their Chairman, Vint).  They will
tend to follow his guidance if their own minds haven't
come to a definitive conclusion.  That is why it is
important to convince Vint.  He is a leader, and
people do tend to follow the leader.

It is not sufficient to state "there should be new
TLDs".  If you want new TLDs, the rationale for such,
along with the arguments to counter the opposing
position, must be thoroughly detailed... otherwise
you'll just run into another Board resolution that
begins with, "Whereas, the Board is not persuaded..."