Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 04:23:38 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Why should Vint need to be convinced.  He is a servant to the
stakeholder/user
Internet community, whatever that really is.  Hence Vint's and the ICANN

BoD's job is to serve the internet community not the other way around.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Sotiris has touched upon a point that I wanted to
> raise with you -- he notes that "Vint's questioning of
> the wisdom of adding new TLDs to the namespace is
> probably where most thinking people ought to be in
> their reflections on the current state of the dns".
>
> My concern goes just a little deeper than that... when
> Vint starts to "question the rationale" of anything,
> we have learned to expect that rather dire
> consequences will immediately follow.
>
> It's easy to convince the choir that new TLDs are a
> "good thing", but let's face it... you've been on the
> Board and probably realize moreso than most Vint's
> singular ability to sway other directors toward his
> position... so, if I may be so bold, let me hear an
> argument from you as to whether we should have new
> gTLDs that is strong enough to sway Vint.
>
> Just so you know, my own opinion (subject to further
> consideration) is that a brief hiatus prior to
> launching new TLDs is required for the following
> reasons:
>
> ?       Does ICANN currently have in place a plan to deal
> with registry business/financial failure?  No.
> ?       Are all ICANN-accredited registrars currently
> escrowing all of their registrant data as required by
> the terms of the RAA?  No.
> ?       Has ICANN hired the necessary complement of
> Compliance Program Managers?  No.
> ?       Is the Internet community satisfied with the
> language embodied in current and proposed registry and
> registrar contracts?  No.
>
> ICANN's house is not in order.  I would sure feel
> better about launching new TLDs if ICANN got its act
> together first.
>

> --- Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Danny Younger wrote:
> >
> > > I would imagine that in Jon Postel's day the issue
> > > wasn't only the competencies and ethics of a TLD
> > > proponent, but also the issue of "circumstance",
> > as
> > > in, "under what circumstances should a new TLD be
> > > launched?"  Clearly Jon's iTLD file lists requests
> > by
> > > competent parties that weren't acted upon.
> >
> > Jon was not a god.  He was just a very nice person
> > who happened to do a
> > particular thing.  We should not ossify the internet
> > around his personal
> > procedures or predilictions.
> >
> > Jon was a pragmatist - he did what needed to be done
> > and didn't dig into
> > motives.  In his time we were getting along with a
> > few TLDs - they had not
> > been overly monitized by a frenzied dot-com boom,
> > nor had the kind of
> > entrenched money-pump mentality that underlies into
> > ICANN come to pass -
> > so the issue of when and why did not rise to the top
> > of the stack.
> >
> > But knowing Jon as I did (which was not close but
> > not distant either) I
> > believe that Jon would have answered a direct TLD
> > request with a couple of
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827