Re: [ga] Crossroads?/The Great Giveme Society

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Crossroads?/The Great Giveme Society
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:05:55 -0800
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

I nor any of our members said or believe that the USG owes us or any
other stakeholder/user anything. Where did you read such a thing?  How
could anyone extract from my remarks below even remotely indicate
such, prey tell?

As the USG/ICANN is a servant to the public and serves at the benefit
and at the discretion of the public, and to the extent that the Internet
is
a public resource paid for initially to a great degree by tax dollars,
there is to THIS extent a responsibility to the public in which ICANN
and the USG serves, a implied and direct responsibility to
stakeholders/user i.e. consumers, both domestic and elsewhere.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> [...]
> reading, for meeting the mandate of the MoU toDOC/NTIA to ICANN.
>
> Hence, restructuring or redesigning the structure of the GNSO and the
> ALAC is necessary so as to include individual's in a meaningful,
> active
> and effecting way to formulate and determine policy. The present
> structure of the GNSO and the ALAC cannot and clearly does not
> adequately provide for such.
>
> Hugh Dierker wrote:
>
> > Jeff and Danny, et.al,
> >
> > Boy Howdy! And Yippidity Do! Reading all this malcontent regarding
> > the ALAC and promotion of some group of real individual users has me
>
> > all a quiver. It looks like we have now reached a crossroads. That
> > something is finally going to be done about getting the group
> > together. Sorry it ain't gonna happen again.
> >
> > Egos are the first reason it will not happen, the active user group
> > people involved have time and time again proven they cannot set
> their
> > personal grandiose perspectives aside and that, in fact they are
> > individuals and going a group takes away their autonomy. The second
> > reason is the dotcommoner/domain name holder split. If someone is
> > unaware; domain name holders who speak out here are really in the
> > business. And they do not see someone who simply uses another
> > entitities domain name or more simply just uses them as a consumer
> or
> > researcher to surf the web is worthy of representation.
> >
> > So the crossroads are upon us again and we can look to the
> > participating "individuals" to watch and argue until they are well
> > behind us again. ICANN does not have an individual group because
> they
> > suppress it, they do not have one because the "individuals" are not
> > sufficiently motivated to set aside petty differences and do
> something
> > that will benefit another rather than themselves.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeffrey A. Williams
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
>
> "Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
> Abraham Lincoln
>
> "Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is
> very often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
> ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
> E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Registered Email addr with the USPS
> Contact Number: 214-244-4827

>  Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln