From: "Andy Gardner" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <rbhauptman@xxxxxxx>; <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet

On Nov 8, 2005, at 11:15 AM, kidsearch wrote:

> So, I gather that you can give a list of countries that have given
> more aid to 3rd world countries than the USA has.

Japan, but that's only if you look at the total dollar figure. If you
take it on e per-capita basis or % of GDP, the USA is well down the
list. Quoting http://www.realityofaid.org/roareport.php?
table=roa2002&id=21

"Total aid from all 22 DAC donor countries in 2000 was US$53.7
billion, down 0.4% in real terms from 1999. Japan and the USA were
the largest donors in cash terms, with Germany the UK and France also
giving from US$4 billion to just over US$5 billion. (See Graph 16).

While donors from G7 countries with large economies show up towards
the top of the list of aid donors in terms of volume, their
performance looks much worse when aid given is measured as a share of
donor GNI. (See Graph 17). Only five donors – Denmark, Netherlands,
Sweden, Norway and Luxembourg – meet the UN 0.7% target for aid as a
share of national income, established in 1970.

Countries such as the United States and Italy give a pitiful share of
their wealth in aid. Most G7 donors have allowed their aid to decline
as a share of their growing wealth over the last ten years. Even as
the Financing for Development Summit approached, G7 donors allowed
their aid to fall by 3% in real terms between 1999 and the latest
available figures covering the year 2000. On average the G7
countries, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and the USA
now give just 0.19% of GNI in aid – even lower than their 0.21%
figure for 1999."

Is our children learning?

> Have to ask that question because as much fun as some people have
> bashing the USA, it is the very first country they call on for help
> when they are attacked or have a problem too big for them to handle.

Well, if you want to lay  claim to be the "greatest nation in the
world" I'm afraid you're going to have to put up or shut up.