Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 02:31:48 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "declan@xxxxxxxx" <declan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Well made argument here Dr. Dierker.

I can only suppose that the 'If's" in such are reasonable to consider
valid.

Constituencies during their formation and/or application were "Cherry
Picked" by the ICANN BoD at the time.  One has to wonder why so
many were rejected without cause at all or no reasonably stated
cause.  Hence the reason an At-Large does not actually exist.

As to the examples of other moot forms of "united states" as to
the assignment of .US were at the time of that decision were
never made nor "IF" they would have been, been worth the
debate as such.

ICANN is a stuart of a public resource, i.e. the internet.  It was
formed and agreed upon for better or worse by all than active
and involved participants.  One of course can legitimately argue
that HOW ICANN was formed and in what manner will be in
question and open to debate for decades to come, WSIS
not withstanding.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    All,
>
> I do think thant the concept of the Monroe Doctrine is applicable. And
> i must concede that even a good priest may act arrogant. (Mexican
> United States is a translation not an interpretation but who cares? i
> could of used the USSR as an example, regarding .us - now moot).
>
> As this relates to the ineternet; i see in Danny's comments regarding
> consensus and WSIS. Is the majority always right? "A fool sir is still
> a fool the mere fact that you gather them by the multitudes only
> aggravates the situation" B.F. to G.W.. And like our At-Large issue.
> Again the Doctrine questions work; If the dotcommoners cannot organize
> themselves in a reasonable fashion the mere fact that there are
> millions of them as opposed to one ICANN does not change the equation.
>

> If it was right to stop colonialization of the Americas does it matter
> that it was forced upon the parties by an Arrogant USA?  If there is
> no better way to run the Internet does it matter that it is imposed by
> that same USA? Just substitute Ineternet Rights for Human Rights. Does
> it matter how arrogant those that give us internet rights are if we
> are given them?
>
> The next step is to go further back and review the options for change
> as provided by Plato's Republic. Submit, Work within for change,
> Rebel, or Leave.

> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Enrique and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
> stakeholders/users,
>
> I agree with your remarks regarding Dr. Deirkers argument as to it's
> veracity. However I fail to see how a conflict in Iraq and
> Afaganastan,
> of american aid has anything what so ever to do with "A Monore
> Doctrine for the Internet".
>
> Enrique Diaz Jolly wrote:
>
> > Well, I would only point to a bad translation as it is Mexican
> United States
> > a more correct translation. I won't introduce my hand any deeper as
> I am
> > laghing out loud of Erik's debate but damned so true..... And
> certainly, mr
> > Hauptman is so right. It is funny how sending a lot of aid, or
> fighting a
> > stupid war to get more petrol than you can burn in the next 20
> years,
> > without hesitating about global weather, (perhaps they are planning
> to move
> > to Mars).... isn't it arrogant saying you deployed the whole fleet
> for
> > tsunami and needed foreign help for hurricanes and floodings? Isn't
> it
> > arrogant to spit on the hand of those that offered aid without any
> trick on
> > their bag? THen please, define arrogance...... perhaps I have a bad
> notion
> > of it.....

   Abraham Lincoln